The role of the South Dakota Public Utilities Commission

The South Dakota Public Utilities Commission must issue a Facility Permit before a transmission line can be constructed. For more information about the state regulatory process, view the regulatory process fact sheet or visit the SD PUC website.

Facility Permit

A Facility Permit from the Commission is required prior to building a high voltage transmission line. It determines if the proposed transmission lines are necessary and what the appropriate size, configuration and timing of the project should be. For more information on the Facility Permit process, click here.

Brookings County-Hampton 345 kV project

Big Stone South-Brookings County 345 kV project