CapX2020 Hampton-Rochester-La Crosse 345 kV project
The Hampton-Rochester-La Crosse 345 kilovolt (kV) transmission line project is complete. The final section of the project was energized on September 16, 2016.
The transmission line will improve reliability for the Twin Cities, Rochester and La Crosse areas, including rural electric cooperative customers in Goodhue, Olmsted and Wabasha Counties of Minnesota and Buffalo, Trempealeau and La Crosse Counties in Wisconsin.
The project used single pole structures typically between 140 and 170 tall and spaced 700 and 1,000 feet apart. Typically, a 150-foot right-of-way was used.
Minnesota route maps Wisconsin route maps
- North Rochester to Northern Hills 161 kV: complete (Energized May 15, 2014)
- North Rochester to Mississippi River 345 kV: complete (Energized Sept. 15, 2015)
- Mississippi River to Briggs Road 345 kV: restoration in progress (Energized Sept. 15, 2015)
- Mississippi River Crossing: construction complete (Energized Sept. 15, 2015)
- Hampton to North Rochester 345 kV: (Energized September 16, 2016)
- Chester 161 kV: construction complete (Energized January 23, 2016)
- Hampton: completed May 2014
- North Rochester: completed May 2014
- Northern Hills: completed October 2013
- Chester: completed 2016
- Briggs Road: complete
- North La Crosse: complete
See permitting history here